Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Social Media's Meaning

Social Media:

What do you use social media for that is necessary for you to lead a good life? 


For the most part, I don't feel that social media is a positive contributor to my life, in fact I think it diminishes the overall value of relationships. However, it does let you restore those that have fallen to ashes over the duration of time for a variety of reason.


Whether it be finding a friend that you lost touch with over the years, or discovering mutual interests, throwing events, Facebook has made a positive change in the sense that its become necessary to reconnect and in the sense that has become easier to socialize.


The question we must ask is: Is the Facebook form of socialization a positive change?


When and why did you start? 


In the summer of 2005 I was fortunate enough to visit a friend of mine at Columbia University in New York. At that time, Facebook was still restricted to those with authenticated university email addresses. It was spreading like wildfire, most people at Columbia had it and I felt compelled to get it. In essence I joined because it was a fad, and like a black hole it sucked me in.


The problem with Facebook is that once you've had it you've engaged in a level of existential existence, you're effectively permanently Facebook's peon. You're unsure as to how to deal without being able to see what your friends are up to at every single moment of every day.


How would you replace it if it was taken away?


For quite a long time I've actually craved for Facebook to be expunged, because I feel that Facebook makes it too easy to keep a superficial friendship going without it having any substance.


If Facebook were taken away, I would replace it by picking up the phone, or seeing more of people in person, or jump on a plane to see someone rather than filling the need I have to contact someone through simply communicating via text with someone.



No comments:

Post a Comment