Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

3 Words That Guarantee Failure


In the middle of watching the last two minutes of Game 1, I saw this really interesting article that claims that there are three words in the English language that are the most deceptive, both to the speaker and to the listener.

The words? "I will try…"

Apparently, saying those words gives people permission to fail, as opposed to saying out right that "I will do…" (which shows more confidence or a better sense of commitment, I'm assuming). The author of the article also claims that the people who hear "I will try" are better off being doubtful that the speaker will actually succeed in what they're doing.

A better combination of words is "I will do" or "I must do."

I honestly don't completely agree with the article's message. While I do understand that saying words like "will" or "must" can often drive a person to succeed, I have to disagree with the comment that people saying "I will try" have basically no chance of succeeding. I see the words "I will try" as something like "yes, I know there is a chance of failure and I accept that but I will still try to succeed."

Hopefully I'm just not being too optimistic.

Full article:

No comments:

Post a Comment