Search This Blog

Monday, April 9, 2012

Social Media Is Essential To Our Lives

1. What do you use Social Media for that is necessary for you to lead a good life?

I use Twitter, Facebook, Youtube, and Blogs to keep connected to my hobbies, interests, and even my future career. Social Media has become my go to source for information for the past three years. When I wake up in the morning I spend five or ten minutes flipping through tweets until I've gathered all the information I need to be informed for the day. On Twitter my main interests are CABC, CMABC, CGABC, Engadget, Boy Genius Report, Vancouver Canucks, Google, Microsoft, Nokia, Conan O'Brien, and Tech Company CEOs. Also, Facebook provides me with everything my friends are up to, as well as giving me information for any social gatherings. Social Media keeps me connects to everything that I find important in a way that never leaves me out of the loop.

2. When did you start and why?

I started using Facebook in 2007 to keep in touch with family overseas. Facebook became an easy way to share pictures and keep track of everyone. Within a year, everyone I know was using Facebook and the addiction began!

I started using Twitter in 2009 to enter contests to win phones. After two years, I started using Twitter to keep track of all my interests because it was easier to follow people than visit each individual website. I found that I could learn much more in a fraction of the time.

3. How would you replace Social Media if it was gone?

I do not think Social Media could ever be replaced. We are capable of doing things now that we never dreamed of before. If Social Media no longer existed, we would lose a significant step forward in connecting the world. Now that we know what is possible through Social Media, it would be difficult to rely on texting, email, and phone calls. I do believe that eventually people would adjust to life without Social Media, but unfortunately we would all be living a life slightly worse than before.

I would try to replace Social Media with more face to face interaction and texting. Arranging to meet with friends on a consistent basis would allow me to be up to date on their lives. The need for Facebook could be satisfied with these two substitutes.

To replace Twitter, I would spend more time reading the newspaper and watching the news on the TV. Specifically, I would read the technology and business sections to satisfy my interests. I would prefer to learn about things such as: natural disasters, celebrity gossip, and new trends on TV.


No comments:

Post a Comment