Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Why is social media important to me?

1) What do I use social media for in order to lead a good life?
I define a good life as myself being well informed and in constant communication with my peers. As a H.R student, it is important that I utilize social media to help advance my career so I can lead an even better life. Currently, I use Facebook to stay in touch with my personal friends - Facebook has made planning events a breeze compared to 10 years ago where you relied solely on email or phone RSVPs. I use Twitter for entertainment purposes only. I never tweet myself, however I get great enjoyment out of reading how blah celebrities are on a day-to-day basis with their meaningless posts about nothing of great importances.
For example: Paris Hilton @ParisHilton "Good morning everyone! Have a Wonderful day! Love Paris :) xoxo" - What a ray for sunshine, life is awesome when your born into billions. I use Linkedin to stay connected with companies I have worked for in the past, students who I have worked with in the past and people who I would like to potentially work for one day. In addition to these modes of social media, the degree in human resources management requires all students to keep a Mahara e-portfolio that instructors and other students can view - it comes in handy for the final practicum.

2)When did I start using social media and why? 
I started using social media (Facebook) in my first year of school at Kwantlen aprox 2008. I joined it because two class-mates kept telling me it was awesome and that I had to join it. I'm glad I did, I have been able to maintain a friendship with these two classmates since our marketing class because we checkup on each other every so often on Facebook.

3)How would I replace social media if it was taken away? 
I don't think I would function like a normal person, social media is a simple thing but the connectivity of social media is a euphoric sensation. If I was in that horrible situation, I would rely on online forums, mass-chain emails, and chat rooms to stay in touch with people. I would also resort to mass-text messages and conference calling if I needed to communicate with multiple people at one time. I would probably replace social media with other useful things such as picking up a book and reading it for fun - not because it is a required reading for class but to honestly enjoy it. Or, I would get out more and potentially get back into playing team sports - who knows, the little free time I have I spend multitasking between school emails, personal emails and social media; I don't put a lot of thought into what I would be doing instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment