Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Free Hug?

Hey Everyone,

A week ago I was going downtown to meet with my HR team.  When I got off of the skytrain at Vancouver City Centre there were 3 people holding free hugs signs.  I had completely forgotten about the 2007 Free Hugs Campaign that was started in Australia. 

I’m not really a touchy-feely person but I like the overall message of the Free Hugs Campaign.  Brighten your day and the day of someone else by sharing a hug and a smile.  When I came out of the skytrain station my first instinct was to avoid the huggers.  But I decided to engage in a little experiment – what if I let my guard down for just a second and hugged one of these strangers?  I changed my course and walked toward the nearest hugger. 

“Free Hug?” she asked.

I shrugged, “why not?”  I was surprised to find that hugging even a complete stranger made a difference in my day. 

Before the hug I was feeling stressed out as I had 2 major projects due and a workshop to present in the next 45 hours.  After the hug I felt better, like I would be able to complete all my tasks.  I thanked the stranger, wished her a pleasant evening and walked down Granville St. 

A 5 second connection with a complete stranger had a very positive affect on me.  I performed a search through Google and discovered that the hormone oxytocin is released during hugs.  A hormone is a chemical messenger that controls and regulates the functions of cell and organs.  Oxytocin is known as the “bonding” hormone – it is released during social and physical contact.

My point is this: connect with people in a positive way, a stranger, a friend, your dad, anyone you can even for 5 seconds.  It will help you and it will help them.

If you’d like to check out the Free Hugs Campaign or read about the psychology of hugs the links are below.

http://www.freehugscampaign.org/index.php?categoryid=1

http://www.sixwise.com/newsletters/06/07/26/how_hugs_are_proven_to_help_your_health_have_you_been_hugged_today.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment