Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Common Mistakes That Students Make When Using Email At University.

The following is a list of email issues to AVOID! 

  • no subject
  • spelling mistakes
  • incorrect or missing punctuation
  • missing upper-case letters
  • incorrect layout - no paragraphs
  • 'flaming' - sending a rude or aggressive e-mail
  • inappropriate use of the student mail system
  • poor communication through not checking e-mail every day
  • inappropriate tone - too informal to send to a member of staff
  • using 'text' language

Below is an example of s student who sent a "flaming" email, with inappropriate tone and incorrect punctuation to a professor. This student clearly didn't read the 7 C's of Communication, # 7) Be courteous, nor did this student do a proper audience analysis - the instructor most likely did not respond in favor to the student's request. 

When I receive an email in all capitals, I assume the person is yelling at me and therefore, I delete the email without reading it. If it's that important they will yell at me in person or on the phone - I am a tough audience who prefers polite email communication versus people who are too lazy to switch between lower-case and upper-case words. 

"To: paul.jones@ABC.ac.uk
Subject: UNFAIR ASSIGNMENT MARK
DR JONES
I AM REALLY ANNOYED WITH THE MARK YOU GAVE MY ASSIGNMENT. I WORKED FOR DAYS ON THAT AND I CANNOT BELIEVE YOU ONLY GAVE IT 58%. I KNOW YOU DON'T LIKE IT WHEN STUDENTS DISAGREE WITH YOUR NARROW WORLD VIEW AND THAT IS WHY YOU GAVE ME A BAD MARK. THIS IS A RUBBISH UNIVERSITY THAT DOES NOTHING TO HELP ITS STUDENTS AND MY DAD SAYS YOU WOULD NOT GET A JOB IN THE REAL WORLD.
I DEMAND THAT YOU GET SOMEONE ELSE TO MARK THIS ESSAY WHO ACTUALLY KNOWS SOMETHING ABOUT THE TOPIC.
ROB HALL"

No comments:

Post a Comment