Search This Blog

Friday, November 16, 2012

Save A Life



Last year I saved a stranger’s life. No, it was not as dramatic as pulling a body from a burning plane on Russ Baker Way, but someone needed me as much as Carolyn Cross needed Simon Pearce. 

Several years ago I had signed up with the Red Cross’ Unrelated Bone Marrow Donor Registry. In 2011, under the control of Canadian Blood Services, someone from the OneMatch Network contacted me to say I was a partial match to someone in need. A simple blood test proved I was the best match and so the process began. After a full physical exam, more blood tests, interviews and injections, I spent two consecutive days hooked up to an apheresis machine at VGH. That was all it took. Because I bothered with a few inconvenient appointments and two days in hospital, someone has a good chance at a full, healthy life. Based on the volume of blood required, that person is likely a child.

A year after the process is complete I am allowed to request more information on the recipient of my blood. That person could be anywhere in the world. Depending on the rules in the country where that person lives, I may or may not get any information beyond a one word statement of their health. It is enough for me to know I gave someone and their loved ones hope. If someone I love is ever in need, I hope OneMatch can find someone that can help. So I ask all of you between the ages of 17 and 50 to considering joining OneMatch at www.onematch.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment