Search This Blog

Thursday, February 23, 2012

To Drink or not to Drink


Bob has urged us not to send e-mails when, sleepy, angry, hung over, high, drunk and when experiencing delusions of granduer.

I recently read an article that discusses whether or not is it appropriate to drink at work functions. HR professionals were polled and found that it was acceptable at:
  • 70 percent: at a holiday party,
  • 40 percent: at a meal with a client or customer,
  • 32 percent: at a retirement party,
  • 28 percent: at the celebration of a company milestone,
  • 22 percent: at a meal with a coworker,
  • 4 percent: at a meal during a job interview, and
  • 14 percent: never.
Article: http://humanresources.about.com/od/networking/qt/drink_i3.htm


My job right out of high school was at a retail organization and I knew that working there was only temporary. Therefore, I engaged in a lot of drinking at work events.

At my current job, I limited myself to two drinks at the holiday party. Why? I can see myself working at this organization long term and was one night of getting drunk worth the possibility of making a fool of myself in front of my manager?

What are your thoughts? The article suggests analyzing the workplace culture to make sure that even having a few drinks at a lunch meeting is acceptable. 

You don't want to end up like this girl: 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypy8h95ntOo&feature=related

1 comment:

  1. A lot depends on context. If your boss or your interviewer orders a glass of wine or beer, you're probably ok to partake (in moderation).

    And keep in mind that social media makes it entirely too easy for compromising photos to end up outside of their original context.

    ReplyDelete